With FireCall, a user can be granted temporary authority that is either more or less than their usual settings in order to be allowed to perform a particular function. However this temporary authority is allowed for only a specific period of time, as determined by the FireCall Operator. Typically, a FireCall Operator is a helpdesk person without full rights to administer Authority Broker, but does have rights to temporarily enable switches that have been pre-configured by the system administrator. Only the FireCall Operator can grant this temporary authority and determine the appropriate time period the temporary authority will be allowed.
To illustrate FireCall usage and benefits, let's revisit our typical user scenario:
Due to the power outage, the payroll department was unable to complete payroll during regular business hours. Frank was granted the temporary authority (by the FireCall Operator) to complete payroll, overnight, in order to have the payroll completed by the beginning of the next business day. As predetermined by the FireCall Operator, Frank's special temporary authority was terminated at the beginning of the next business day.
In this typical user scenario, FireCall provided the following benefits:
- Ability to temporarily grant access to powerful user accounts when emergencies arise.
- Ability to automatically revoke access to powerful user accounts after a predetermined time period. (Administrators can set limits on the duration of the profile switch and can even configure the action that is taken when the time expires.)
- Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
- Record of what the user has done under the switch profile.
- 24/7 availability.
- Ensure the option "Switching is enabled for FireCall only" is selected for the user in the Switch Information screen.
- Open the FireCall Assignment screen using one of the following methods:
- From a command line, enter LFIRECALL and press Enter.
- From the Main Menu, select option 3 (Give a user FireCall access to Authority Broker).
- From the FireCall Menu, select option 1 (Give user FireCall access).
- The FireCall Assignment screen displays. Existing FireCall switch pairs are presented in the FireCall Assignment screen. (Only switch assignments designated as FireCall assignments are listed.)
- Enter a reason for the FireCall assignment. (This is a required field.)
- Enter 1 (Select) for a user, then specify the length of time the switch will be allowed under Switch Duration.
- Press Enter. The message "FireCall access has been granted to [user]" displays at the bottom of the screen confirming the switch assignment.
|Previous - Working with Screen Captures||Next - Dashboards|